WRA Newsletter – Nov 2016


newseltter

Nov 2016

Dear Members,

At the time of writing this newsletter, winter is upon us with a biting northerly wind. Time to do all those jobs in the garden and put away all those frost tender plants until spring

Winkton Resident’s Association (WRA)

As stated in the May newsletter, WRA includes all residents of the hamlet of Winkton & Bockhampton and aims to preserve community connections. There is a committee that represents the WRA which endeavours to provide a local voice in dealing with issues that directly affect our hamlet as well as organising social events at Christmas and during the summer. The committee has no power in local decision making policies.

WRA Committee

Vikki Powell has kindly agreed to take on the post of Committee Secretary. Beryl Squires who lives in Homefield Park has also joined the Committee. Unfortunately Lindy Stuart has stepped down along with Emma Hickey, many thanks for their efforts. Although the task of many committee members is not overly arduous, our chairman Sam has a particularly busy role, as things that affect us as a community become more diverse. Please consider becoming a committee member, we would love to hear from you. Contact Sam Bragg for further information.

Winter Get Together

Once again Christmas is fast upon us and it would be great to meet up for an informal evening with our neighbours to catch up and relax.  Our annual gathering this year has been organised for Friday 2nd December from 18:30 at The Lamb Inn on Burley Road and the room round the back of the bar has been reserved for us.  The Committee are organising for a few nibbles to be laid on and all drinks should be purchased directly from the Bar.

If you would like to join some of us and dine later that evening, our hosts, Martin & Rachel, have very kindly offered a discount of 20% off meals/food only.   Please call The Lamb Inn directly on 01425 672427 to reserve a table and don’t forget to mention that you are part of the Winkton Residents Association Party to ensure your discount is applied!!!  This will also secure a table in the vicinity of the party so if you prefer to be seated separately then please advise on booking.   We wish Martin & Rachel every success in revitalising the Lamb to become an integral part of the village community again.

Winkton Website

We would like to remind you of the launch of the Winkton website as announced in the summer newsletter www.winkton.org

The website will be used for updates and also has a blog. If anyone would like to add anything to the website, then please use the contact us link on the website to send a message or email Simon Smith.

Enhancing Communication to all members of the community

It is anticipated in future that the Autumn/Winter newsletter, in particular, will be sent via email. For those that do not have internet connection don’t worry it will still be delivered to you in the usual way. This will cut down on printing costs & the time taken by volunteers to deliver. Our Spring/Summer newsletter will be delivered by hand as normal to all residents when annual subscriptions are collected. We are aware that not everyone has access to the internet or a computer so If you would like important updates regarding Winkton that fall outside the times of the bi-annual newsletter, then please let one of the Committee members know and we will print out a copy of the relevant information and drop it round to you.

All WRA Committee Members details are printed at the end of this newsletter but please email Sam with your contact details so that you can be added to the circulation list. Don’t forget to update us if your email address has changed as we regularly have communications bouncing back to us with incorrect data.

Planned Major Road schemes

 Blackwater Junction (located on the A338 / B3073 intersection).   The works at Blackwater will include re-configuring the east and west junctions on the B3073 along with the construction of additional approach lanes. The slip roads off and on to the A338 will also be improved. Main contract works are programmed to start in September 2017.

Hurn Roundabout (east of Bournemouth Airport on the B3073). The scheme provides a relocated roundabout to the east of its current site and includes the realignment of Parley Lane and the Avon Causeway.  The Christchurch Road section will also be re-orientated and the Matchams Lane junction moved. Works are due to start in September 2017.

 Wessex Fields Junction on the A338. Opening up the future opportunity for the development of designated employment land at Wessex Fields. Combined with second access road to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital. Preliminary design and site investigation surveys and assessments are currently taking place. Provisional start date for construction Spring 2019.

Ongoing Matters

Roeshot Hill Gravel Extraction – planning application submitted closing date for comments was 20 June 2016.

Dorset Combined Authority.- The results of the consultation were published in June 2016. The report is available on the following website – www.dorset-combined-authority.uk Unfortunately we are unable to include the report in this newsletter as it runs to some 34 pages but some updates have been sent to residents via email.

Christchurch Relief Road.– Christchurch Borough Council has commissioned a feasibility study. There may be implications for Winkton depending on the results of this study and we will update you in due course.

PACT (Partners and Community Together) meeting – local speed checks in conjunction with Dorset police

Cheryl has been extremely busy negotiating with our local PCSO’s and raising issues at Burton Parish Council meetings. BPC have agreed to look at supporting WRA in dropping the speed limit to 40mph from the current 60mph on the section of Burley Rd from the Bransgore 30 mph limit to the Winkton 30mph limit. Many of you will remember a previous petition a couple of years back regarding HGV’s along Salisbury Road. This matter is still on our agenda. Cllr David Flagg has informed us that they are still under negotiations with New Forest District Council and this has now progressed to County Hall. Some of you will have noticed a rise in HGV traffic using Burley Road, which has a 7.5 tonne weight limit, and damage caused to signs and wing mirrors. Unfortunately, with the temporary closures of Derritt Lane we were used as a designated alternative route.

Response to the various dates for Speedwatch training was unsuccessful with only one resident advising of their availability. Cheryl will be in contact again soon with those who have been vetted once she has received further dates available. Due to legalities we have been advised we are limited as to where we are physically authorised to undertake speed checks and this is not generally where most speed violations occur. Cheryl is working alongside PACT and BPC to seek alternative solutions.

If you hear of any road traffic incidents or mishaps etc please do make a note of the date, time, what happened etc and contact one of the Committee as we are trying to maintain a record of incidents so that we have a diary of data to pass back to our Councillors or Highways etc when required to support our case to slow the roads and reduce HGV’s.

Salt bins for winter road gritting.

Salt Bins are due to be reloaded from Mon 7th November.  Burley Road has been removed from the gritting run so we had requested two new grit bins to be installed on the outskirts of the village but BPC only agreed to fund one. This has now been installed in the Meadowside car park.  As no extra funding was available spare grit will be supplied so houses slightly outside of the two grit locations can take small quantities to use on dangerous bends

Burton Parish Council

Unfortunately, WRA does not have an official representative on the Parish Council to voice issues at the monthly meetings. However, one of our Committee members does try to attend when time & commitments allow. Remember, as a member of the public you can attend and make your own views known during the public participation section. Meetings are generally held once a month on a Monday evening at 7.30pm, either at Burton Green URA or Burton Community Centre. Full details are updated on their website or posted on BPC Noticeboards.

The following details were extracted from the BPC meeting held on 19 Sept 2016. Bus4Burton. A resident reported that the Morebus does not meet the needs of the village as it does not run at peak times. Also bus passes are not always accepted on the early trips when they should be. The Burton residents feel that Burton Parish are not supporting them in this. The Chairman stated that the Parish Council have been doing work on the bus issue behind the scenes. Also, if bus passes are declined, please make a note of the day, time and registration number of the bus.

Subscriptions

The committee ask for a subscription of £2 per household to join the WRA. Subscriptions run from Jan to December each year and we will be collecting the subscriptions for 2017 when distributing the Spring/Summer newsletter. The subscriptions go towards the running costs of the committee (such as printing the newsletter), towards the social events and adhoc items for the village when we receive no council funding. WRA current funds stand at £283.04

Many thanks for taking time to read this newsletter and hope you will join us on Friday 2nd December.

Committee Members Contact Details

Please use the contact form herelink-icon-bw12 or leave a message on 01202 912160 – alternatively you can email

Sam Bragg (Chair and ACRA), Simon Smith (Deputy & IT),  Vikki Powell (Sec), David Barker (Treasurer), Shirley Case (Social & 2nd Sig), Cheryl Pountain (PACT & ACRA), Caroline Brace, Beryl Squires

Leave a Reply